Who is homeless? (Sec. 725)
The term "homeless children and youth" -
(A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence; and
(B) includes -
(i) children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
(ii) children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings...
(iii) children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
(iv) migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).
Information for Parents
- 211 Texas - assist with locating resources in your area, i.e. housing, food pantry, health. They can be reached at 877-541-7905 or http://www.211texas.org/
- Medina Senior Center distributes commodity food once a month. For a schedule of dates please call 830-741-6160. Must be 60 years or over to receive this service. Applications can be picked up at the Meals on Wheels Senior Center located at 808 Harper (next to the Medina County Food Pantry and down the road from the golf course).
- Medina County Food Pantry is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. -11 a.m. and can be reached at 830-426-4847.
- MANNA Pantry (First Baptist Church Hondo) is available every other Monday from 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. For a list of guidelines and dates please click on MANNA Pantry which is located in Related Documents above.
- WIC Program
- Wesley Nurse
List of apartments that offer low income housing:
- Brian Place Apartments - 231 Stage Coach Drive (next to Whataburger) 830-741-2055
- Landmark Apartments - 2001 Boerne Avenue (behind Dollar General) 830-741-4777
- Tuscany Court Apartments - 2208 14th Street 830-426-4220
- Garden Apartments - 3100 Avenue Q #100 (south of Woolls Intermediate School) 830-426-5233
- Las Palomas Apartments - 2805 Avenue U (behind Woolls Intermediate School) 830-426-7004
If you have any questions or need additional information contact:
Homeless Liaison and Director of Special Programs @ 830-426-3311